Only a stone's throw away from Schloss Erbach, formerly owned and still inhabited by the Erbach-Erbach family, lies the residence of another branch of the family, Schloss Fürstenau. The Counts of Erbach-Fürstenau are the most senior line of the three branches of the House - and their castle reflects that. The origins of the Schloss lie in the 14th century when it was built by the Electorate of Mainz for the protection of nearby Steinbach Abbey against the Electorate of the Palatinate. The castle was firstly mentioned in 1310, about seven years later Eberhard VI of Erbach is named as the vassal of the castle. Since the 15th century, the Erbachs are the actual owners of the castle.
Good to know:
Schloss Fürstenau is privately owned and not open to the public. Visitors are, however, allowed to enter the courtyard between 7am and 4pm each day to have a closer look at the castle's exterior.