Palácio da Regaleira
António Augusto de Carvalho Monteiro commissioned Italian opera-set designer Luigi Manini to dream up the plans for both the Quinta and the Palácio da Regaleira - and naturally Manini came up with something straight out of a fairytale. The facade of the Neo-Manueline extravaganza, which also blends Neo-Gothic and Italian Neo-Renaissance styles, is characterised by Gothic pinnacles, gargoyles, capitals and an impressive octagonal tower. From the inside, it is surprisingly homely though little of the original furnishings remain.
The Palácio da Regaleira has five floors: A ground floor, three upper floors and a basement. The ground floor contains a series of hallways connecting the social living areas such as the living room, dining room, billiard room, balcony, some smaller rooms and several stairways. On an interesting note: The Billiard Room or Monarch’s Room has paintings engraved into the wooden ceiling of the Portuguese monarchs from the first King Afonso Henriques to King João V. Carvalho Monteiro was a monarchist and proud Portuguese national so the Spanish monarchs who ruled during the invasion between 1580 to 1640 were omitted.
Good to know:
The Palácio da Regaleira including the surrounding park are open from April 1 to September 30, from 9.30am to 8pm, and from October 1 to March 31, from 9.30am to 6pm. The last entrance into the park is one hour earlier, last entrance to the palace half and hour before closing time. Admission per adult is 6 euros. For more information, have a look here.